Special Events Intern (Summer 2021)
- Retail - Events
- Bloomington, IN, USA
- Generous employee discount on wine, food and merchandise, participation in wellness events (free flu shots, biometric screening, health-focused lunch and learns, and more), access to employee events and celebrations, paid trainings and meetings.
Oliver Winery Special Events Internship Program
Summer Internship Dates are May 10-August 20, 2021
Do you want a hands-on event planning internship experience? Do you want to develop the skills you need to succeed in the hospitality industry? Oliver Winery, Indiana's oldest and largest winery, has a unique opportunity for you! Oliver Winery's Special Events Intern is responsible for assisting the events and hospitality team in the promotion and execution of both onsite and offsite special events. You will report daily to the Events and Hospitality Manager. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, energetic, flexible and eager to learn.
Please note that we are not currently offering any virtual or remote internships at this time. The special events intern will be required to perform internship duties onsite in Bloomington, Indiana.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Special Events Intern is responsible for assisting the events and hospitality team in the promotion and execution of both onsite and offsite special events.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as initial point of contact for all special event inquiries.
- Respond to phone calls and emails within 24 hours and offer sensational service when presenting event options.
- Update company calendar daily, and send out a weekly Thursday Event Email to employees about events happening at the facility that week.
- Assist with setup and execution of day group tours and private evening events.
- Assist with the promotion and execution of our festivals and events.
- Prepare supplies for offsite events.
- Travel to offsite events throughout the state to assist with execution of event.
- Greet customers, run the register and pour tastes of wine for our customers during onsite events.
- Attend all staff meetings relating to special events.
- Keep marketing database up to date with customers' information.
- Follow up after an event with customers by sending thank you and evaluation emails.
- Keep musician database up to date with musicians' information.
- Assist with research projects to increase event success and profitability.
- Assist with the management of our Creekbend Farmhouse.
- Additional duties, as assigned by the Management.
- Pursuing a degree in Event, Hospitality, and Tourism or a related field.
- Events related experience.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal relations skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite- Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Embody a professional demeanor and situational awareness.
- Due to the nature of our business, must be over 21 years of age.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Public speaking and customer service experience.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Able to perform quality work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Able to participate in team-oriented problem solving.
- Able to be responsive and flexible at last minute requests.
- High attention to detail.
- Accept direction and constructive criticism from others.
- Interact well with fellow employees and winery managers, as well as customers and vendors.
- Exhibit interest and appreciation for wine.
- Take ownership of responsibilities, including meeting deadlines for reports & filings.
- Demonstrate willingness to communicate in a persuasive and constructive manner that leads to positive change.
Members of our Hospitality team will also possess the ability to:
- Actively, passionately seek out knowledge of wine and the Oliver wine portfolio
- Provide the highest level of service to customers, vendors, and fellow employees.
- Engage and build strong relationships through active listening and clear, thoughtful communication and teamwork.
- Be flexible and responsive in a fast-paced customer-focused environment.
In addition, all successful winery employees will be able to:
- Use your attitude and effort to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Be thoughtfully engaged and do your best work. Every day.
- Model the winery values: Respect People, Expect Quality, Think Differently, Get Stuff Done.
Typical Schedule: This is a temporary position. Anticipated schedule is approximately 40 hours per week, with various shifts Sunday-Saturday depending on events.
Deadline: Materials must be received by Friday, February 12. We will interview for this position between February 26 – March 6.
Interns are paid at a rate of $3500 per internship. Employee discount on wine and merchandise and involvement in Oliver Winery staff outings will apply.
Internship is based on a 40-hour work week for 14 weeks. Schedule will vary and will include evenings and weekends. This internship is designed to meet the requirements of Indiana University's School of Public Health professional internship requirement. Students from other schools are welcome to apply.
*Summer internship begins May 2021. Internship dates are May 10-August 20, 2021.
A Cover Letter and Resume are strongly encouraged.
Check us out on Glassdoor!
This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Oliver Winery, Inc. Disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.
© 2020-2021 OLIVER WINERY & VINEYARDS, BLOOMINGTON, IN 47404 | OLIVER IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF OLIVER WINE COMPANY, INC.