Category Manager/Demand Planner
- - Wholesale Sales
- Bloomington, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance. Generous PTO and paid holidays. Employer 401(k) matching program of up to 6% of annual compensation. Employee discounts on wine and merchandise. Access to Oliver Winery's Live Well wellness program and We Give donations program.
The Category Manager/Demand Planner leads wholesale sales category performance management insights as a key member of the Oliver Winery management team. This position will oversee the design and implementation of category performance management systems, and execution and optimization of distribution and commercial insight generation to allow the Sales team to measure and influence distributors and retailers. This position will also effectively implement and optimize demand planning and forecasting systems to increase accuracy and efficiency of winemaking inventory planning and customer fulfillment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Market Analysis & Category Management:
- Researches and analyzes syndicated market data, distribution, shipment and depletion data, consumer trends and insights, Winery performance and competitive data to assess performance and opportunities for improvement. Regularly shares findings with Strategy team.
- Leads monthly analysis of sales and promotional activities for effectiveness; identifies and prioritizes gaps, defines priorities and actions across portfolio and markets.
- Creates concise and actionable reports on company performance by market, brand, and SKU to optimize allocation of resources for sales and marketing teams for brand expansion.
- Partners with the Sales team to create promotional budget for trade spending by market and product line to ensure profitability and return on investment. Collaborates with sales and marketing leadership in finalizing budgets for all market and brand promotional activities.
- Leads trade spending strategy with Sales team, develops the annual trade spending plan, program effectiveness reviews, and tracking and reporting to ensure profitability and return on investment. Leads development of category management insights; collaborates with marketing to translate into user friendly presentations that allow Sales team to influence retailers and distributors to increase distribution and market execution.
- Assesses new product concepts from consumer insights/market data perspective.
- Creates concise reporting system for monthly review with sales and marketing teams.
- Prepares monthly and annual analysis of programs using customer/distributor shipments, Nielsen scan data, distributor depletions and velocity to ensure program effectiveness.
- Leads development of category management insights and translate into user friendly presentations to allow Sales team to influence distributors and retailers so that we may increase distribution and improve retail execution.
- Leads relationship and oversees management of outside insight vendors such as AC Nielsen and VIP.
- Contributes meaningfully to overall company strategy and planning activities, as well as annual budgeting.
- Serves as subject matter expert with insight, category data, and assistance with ad hoc reports & analysis for our strategy, sales, and marketing teams.
- Develops effective sales forecasting model based on Winery sales, industry trends and demand patterns. Coordinates monthly, annual, and three-year planning models, incorporating latest results and trends such as shipments, depletions, and velocity per outlet along with Nielsen scans into projections.
- Effectively communicates forecast and inventory estimations to managers across winemaking and sales departments. Coordinates with procurement activities.
- Develops method of assessing accuracy of sales forecast to actual results, as well as relaying adjustments/deviations in a timely manner. Proposes and implements solutions to improve demand forecast accuracy.
- 7 – 10 years progressive sales and financial analytical experience within a consumer packaged goods industry that includes beverage distributor POS data.
- Business related Bachelor's degree.
- Proven track record of defining a performance management brief and designing reporting systems to consolidate and report concise insights. Experience and proven capabilities with distributor focused consumer goods and translating marketplace data into actionable insights for improved results at retail.
- High level knowledge of distributor incentive programs, retailer trade promotions, strategies, costs and concepts and effectively evaluating and executing optimization tactics in a timely and concise manner.
- Ability to understand, analyze and utilize retailer point of sales (POS), Nielsen, depletion, and shipment data and convert into insights and actions.
- Experience and knowledge of demand planning & forecasting systems and information.
- Strong experience in analytical and conceptual thinking and the ability to influence the Sales and Marketing team with a strong verbal and written communication skill set.
- Clearly demonstrated experience in an entrepreneurial environment, with ability to deal with complexity & prioritization, while operating within limited resources. Must have a high sense of urgency and the ability to communicate this to the teams involved.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture strong cross-functional relationships.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Complex problem-solving abilities; an Excel and PowerPoint expert.
- Analytical and critical thinking style.
- Transparent, efficient and proactive communication style with a detailed and high-level approach.
- Confident, yet humble and adaptable personality when working to find a solution.
- Positive energy that is contagious and that will foster a "can-do" attitude among the team.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities, including meeting deadlines and operating in an organized and prioritized manner.
- Willingness to communicate in a persuasive and constructive manner that leads to positive change with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Interest and appreciation for wine.
Members of our Sales team also possess the ability to:
- Effectively engage customers, vendors, and distributors to build strong relationships.
- Actively seek out and apply knowledge of beverage industry to further the Oliver Winery brand.
- Execute assigned tasks at a high level, with attention to detail and thoughtful prioritization of effort.
- Make responsible business and financial decisions, operating within the context of sales plan and budget parameters.
In addition, all successful winery employees are able to:
- Use your attitude and effort to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Be thoughtfully engaged and do your best work. Every day.
- Model the winery values: Respect People, Expect Quality, Think Differently, Get Stuff Done.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The Category Manager/Demand Planner position requires the ability to stand, walk, lift and bend for up to 8 hours a day. It may also require the ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds as well as the ability to sit and work at a computer for up to 8 hours a day. There may be visual or ergonomic strain due to computer use. It also requires extended periods of concentration and focus.
Typical Schedule: Position is full-time with benefits. Schedule is primarily Monday-Friday. Travel, evening work, and some occasional weekend work will be required.
Core Values of Oliver Winery:
- Respect People. Respect others in your interactions with fellow staff, customers, suppliers, and all you meet in conducting winery business. Listen as much as you talk. Be respectful, friendly, and dependable.
- Expect Quality. Quality matters. Expect the best from yourself and fellow staff. Do your job with pride and attention to detail.
- Think Differently. Be curious and creative. Seek out ways to improve our products, our brand, our service, and our facility.
- Get Stuff Done. Make smart decisions and deliver results. See solutions, not roadblocks. Execute great ideas with urgency.
Employee Benefits & Perks:
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and supplemental benefit packages.
- Generous PTO and Paid Holidays.
- Employer 401(k) matching program of up to 6% of annual compensation.
- Paid training and meetings. Opportunities for professional development.
- Access to our award-winning Live Well wellness program featuring fitness reimbursements, charitable giving matches, and education on topics including financial health, physical wellbeing, and more.
- Generous employee discount on wine, food and merchandise.
We strongly recommend you upload a cover letter along with your resume.
For more information about working at Oliver Winery, check us out on Glassdoor!
This document is confidential and contains proprietary information and intellectual property of Oliver Winery, Inc. Disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this document and the information contained therein is strictly prohibited.
© 2021 OLIVER WINERY & VINEYARDS, BLOOMINGTON, IN 47404 | OLIVER IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF OLIVER WINE COMPANY, INC.